The City Clerk serves as the Corporate Secretary of the City, the Official Secretary of the legislative body and the Supervisor of Elections for Hialeah. The Office of the City Clerk is also the corporate headquarters of the City and serves as the depository for all corporate contracts and records.
Primary duties include:
- Conducts municipal elections with the assistance of the Miami-Dade County Department of Elections.
- Monitors compliance of City, County and State regulations pertaining to elections.
- Prepares the agenda for City Council Meetings.
- Furnishes City Council Members an agenda package that includes staff reports and memoranda and other information necessary to enable the City Council to make informed decisions on individual items.
- Keeps the minutes of the City Council proceedings, which constitute a public record.
- Gives notice of regular and special City Council Meetings to the Mayor, its Members and the public.
- Prints, records and indexes ordinances, charter amendments and resolutions.
- Prepares City Council Summary Agendas.
- Corrects scrivener's errors that are discovered in ordinances, resolutions, council minutes and staff reports and promptly reports all corrections to the City Council.
- Processes the codification of the Hialeah Code Book.
- Ensures that lobbyists are registered with the Office of the City Clerk.
- Issues monthly notice of regular and special City Meetings.
- Provides legal notices associated with the business being conducted at regular and special City Council Meetings.
- Processes legal notices for City departments.
- Publishes and oversees all statutorily mandated advertisement.
- Acts as the custodian of public records of the City.
- Processes Public Records Request.
- Copies archived permit applications, permits, building plans and all related documents for the public and City Departments.
- Advertises Bids and Requests for Proposals.
- Receives invitation to bid and requests for proposals and qualifications.
- Provides information and referrals to City residents.
- Assists with City Boards, including Historic Preservation Board and Cultural Affairs Council.
- Drafts Board Appointment Letters and miscellaneous paperwork related to City Boards.
- Updates Board List as necessary.
- Conducts Lien Searches, Lien Recordings and Lien Releases.
- Records Bonds.
- Provides printing, copying, cutting and binding services to all City departments.
- Responsible for sorting and distributing incoming mail (U.S. and interoffice).
- Processes all outgoing mail (U.S. and interoffice).
- Acts as the City’s United Way Coordinator.
- Processes miscellaneous permits, including filming, carnivals, festivals, street closures and banners.
- Ensures that yearly Financial Disclosure Forms are completed.
- Attests official City documents.
- Performs such other duties as the Mayor may prescribe from time to time.
The Department has been functionalized as follows: Office of the City Clerk, the Print Shop/Mail Room and Records Management/Microfilm Office.
Office of the City Clerk
501 Palm Avenue, 3rd Floor
Hialeah, FL 33010
Telephone: (305) 883-5820
Fax: (305) 883-5814